Monday, June 15, 2009

Window 1 installed

Well, I don't know how competently it's installed, but the window is installed. (Scattered thunderstorms coming, so I didn't want the window, propped in the frame, to blow in and shatter.)

I'm not entirely convinced I was doing the right thing with the shims, but the window is square, it's against the blind stop, it still opens, and it feels quite solid, so it can't be all that bad. Tomorrow I'm going to finish the hot water plumbing, and look at the front windows now that I am an experienced window installer.

In the meantime, I'm going to take advantage of the fact that I'm caught up with the paying work for the first time since April, and I am going to the movies, see if I don't!

2 comments:

  1. Lurvley!!

    BTW, what was your concern with the shims?

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's complicated. The profile of the window frame is concave, and I put in the shims against the visible part of the frame (the part perpendicular to the plane of the old window frame). If I had pushed them back, they would have fallen into the concave part. So it just seemed odd. But it seems to work, and it sort of matches the cryptic diagram in the instructions. So I think that was the right way to do it - it just seemed unclear.

    ReplyDelete